Happy throwback Thursday in honor the US Open! What an incredible feeling to have 3 athletes at a grand slam tournament… Thank you Gator Tennis Greats; Jess & Whitney & for training & traveling with Monica Seles #tbt #usopen #tennis #monicaseles #gators #sports #performance #coach #nutrition #fitness #fitfam #amextennis #metrx #lisareedfitness
To help you and your family get fit & healthy for the dog days of Summer AND ready to go back to school happy, achieve some of the easy & small steps below!
Choose a different eating well and moving more tip each week for you and your family to try. See if you or they can add to the list!
Family Nutrition Tips!
• Share one dessert and pass around the table for one bite each until it’s gone!
• Serve food portions no larger than your fist and keep extra helpings on counter or right to fridge. Don’t serve seconds.
• Eat off smaller plates.
• Share an entree with one of your family members or sibling.
• Eat before grocery shopping.
• Choose a checkout line without a candy display.
• Make a grocery list before you shop.
• Serve water or low-fat milk at meals instead of soda or sugary drinks.
• Flavor foods with herbs, spices, low-fat/ low sodium seasonings.
• Ensure your family eats breakfast everyday.
• Provide plenty of fruits and vegetables for snacks.
• Provide sliced apples or bananas for your family to top their favorite cereal.
• Don’t keep sweet foods at home so they’re not as readily available.
• Cut high-calorie foods like cheese and chocolate into small pieces and only eat a few pieces. Share amongst family members for a small treat.
• Pay attention to flavors and textures when you eat.
• Try serving a new fruit or vegetable (ever had jicama, fava beans, plantain, bok choy, star fruit, or papaya?).
• Do sit-ups in front of the TV. Challenge your children to see who can do the most sit-ups in one minute.
• Walk instead of drive whenever you can.
• Take a family walk after dinner.
• Join an exercise group and enroll your children in sports community teams or lessons.
• Do yard work. Get your children to help rake, weed, plant, etc.
• Work around the house. Ask your children for help doing active chores.
• Take the dog to the park.
• Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
• Wash the car by hand.
• Pace the sidelines at kids’ athletic games so they know you have to fit in your workout too.
• Choose an activity that fits into your daily life. Being physically active with your family is a great way to spend time together.
• Park farther from the store and walk.
• Use an exercise video if the weather is bad.
• Perform gardening or home repair activities.
• Avoid labor-saving devices, such as a remote control or electric mixers.
• Play with your kids 30 minutes a day.
• Dance to music. Play your favorite dance music for your children and have them play their favorites for you.
• Make a Saturday morning walk a family habit.
• Walk briskly in the mall.
• Choose activities you enjoy-you’ll be more likely to stic with them. Ask children what activities they want to do.
• Acknowledge your efforts with non-food related rewards, such as a family day at the park, lake, or zoo.
• Take stairs instead of the escalator.
• Swim with your kids.
• Use a snow shovel instead of a snow blower.
• Take your dog on longer walks.
• Buy a set of hand weights and give kids soup cans and play a round of Simon Says with your kids!
Incorprating these tips and you will feel great about making positive changes to your eating, physical activity and screen time habits with your family!